Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hawaiian ginger-chicken stew


Well, all this talk of cheese has made me realize I should up my intake of leafy greens. And I do love a warm dish rich with collards, mustard greens, or chard. (Check out this awesome spicy white bean stew recipe; it's a favorite!)

Thanks again, Eating Well. I stumbled upon this easy and super-healthy recipe the other day, and I adapted it by adding a mixture of brown and wild rice.



Hawaiian ginger-chicken stew (serves 4)

1 tablespoon canola or sesame oil (I mixed them)

4 cloves garlic, thinly slices

a 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced into matchsticks

1/2 cup dry sherry

1-3/4 cups chicken broth

1-1/2 cups water

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce

1 bunch greens (I used red chard)

2 cups brown rice, or a mixture of brown and wild rice

1.) Heat the oil over medium heat in a pot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs.

2.) Add ginger and garlic to the pot and cook about 10 seconds. Add sherry and cook, craping up any brown bits, for 3 minutes. Add broth and water, and increase heat. Bring to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes.

3.) Add soy sauce, chile sauce, and greens. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until greens are tender. Return the chicken to the pot, add the rice, and cook another 2 minutes.



Today's question: Do you have a favorite recipe for greens, or a favorite kind of greens? I need ideas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to sautee spinach in olive oil and add some garlic and onions or mushrooms.